- Thorne Research Betaine HCl & Pepsin promotes improved protein digestion.
- Enhances stomach acidity
- Promotes protein breakdown and absorption
- Benefits individuals with occasional indigestion
- Made without lactose, preservatives, magnesium stearate, or other lubricants and diluents
- Indigestion affects millions of people every day. For some, eating fatty foods can bring on heartburn. For others, simple carbohydrates (like bread and pasta) may cause gas and bloating. And for other individuals, spicy foods can cause them grief. Although what we eat greatly influences the frequency and severity of indigestion, this discomfort could be related to an underlying problem – poor digestive enzyme activity.
- Situations such as illness, gall bladder removal, overuse of antacids, and normal aging can contribute to insufficient secretion of stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, and bile, and can adversely affect digestive enzyme activity and lead to occasional heartburn, gas, bloating, and other forms of gastrointestinal discomfort.*
- Maldigestion can lead to digestive problems and poor absorption of nutrients, resulting in vitamin deficiencies (particularly fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K). Food allergies can develop when inadequately digested proteins are absorbed through the gut. As large proteins are absorbed intact, the body might recognize them as foreign and create antibodies to them, resulting in an allergic response to the food. An individual who has frequent indigestion should make sure to have adequate enzyme support.*
- Hydrochloric acid secretion in the stomach does several positive things. It assists protein digestion by activating pepsinogen to pepsin, it renders the stomach sterile against ingested pathogens, it inhibits undesirable overgrowth in the small intestine, and it encourages the flow of bile and pancreatic enzymes.* Hydrochloric acid also facilitates the absorption of a number of nutrients, including folate, vitamin B12, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, iron, and some forms of calcium, magnesium, and zinc.* Numerous studies have shown hydrochloric acid secretion in the stomach declines with advancing age. Overuse of antacids can also lead to low levels of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, which can result in poor protein digestion.* Thorne offers hydrochloric acid and pure pepsin from a porcine source. Unlike many supplement companies, the pepsin utilized in Thorne's product is pure, undiluted, and lactose-free.
Suggested Use: Take 1-2 capsules with each meal or as recommended by your health professional.
Two Capsules Contain:
Betaine Hydrochloride* ......1 g.
Pepsin (Porcine) ......47 mg.
Other Ingredients: Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Leucine, Silicon Dioxide.*Equivalent to 16 grains. Betaine Hydrochloride derived from a non-plant source. This product is not diluted with lactose. Individuals with porcine allergies should not take this product. Do not take this product out of the capsule. This product is contraindicated in patients with peptic ulcer.
This product is contraindicated in an individual with a history of hypersensitivity to any of its ingredients.
Betaine HCl & Pepsin contains an ingredient derived from a porcine (pork) source.
If pregnant, consult your health professional before using this product.
Betaine HCL & Pepsin should not be used concurrently with H2-blocking drugs and proton pump inhibitors, because these drugs are intended to block the production of stomach HCl.
Betaine HCL & Pepsin should be used with caution in an individual with a history of a peptic or duodenal ulcer.
It is not recommended to remove the Betaine HCL & Pepsin powder from the capsule, as it can be irritating to the oral mucosa.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to treat, mitigate, diagnose or cure any disease.
Product was recommended by my holistic health professional as an aid to support a healthy digestion. I take this with each meal along with a daily liver cleanse and feel these work much better for me than the popular marketed digestive aid brands.
Settled my issues w/constipation. I was diagnosed w/silent reflux and given omeprozole which made my problem worse. Happened onto article about HCI and the rest is history. Great fix!
Been using this one for almost 3 yrs...can't tell you how much it has helped us! Love it!
Good service and quick product delivery.
Very good customer service. Very happy with this company.