- Folic acid from food or supplementation must be converted to its active forms to be used by the body. This is a multi-step biochemical process that occurs in the intestines and liver. In the presence of intestinal or liver dysfunction this conversion may not occur sufficiently enough to meet the body's needs.
- Furthermore, up to 60 percent of the U.S. population may have a genetic enzyme defect that makes it difficult for them to convert folic acid into active 5-MTHF. For these individuals and many others, 5-MTHF supplementation may be a more effective method of folate repletion.
- In concert with vitamin B12, 5-MTHF functions as a methyl-group donor involved in the conversion of the amino acid homocysteine to methionine.
- Methyl-group donation is vital to many biochemical conversion processes, including the synthesis of serotonin, melatonin, coenzyme Q10, L-carnitine, and DNA.
- 5-MTHF 15 mg is recommended for those who have been evaluated by a health-care practitioner as needing extra methylation support.
Take 1 capsule daily. This product is intended for use under the guidance of a health-care practitioner.
One Capsule Contains:
Folate (15 mg as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate†) ....... 25 mg DFE
Microcrystalline Cellulose, Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Leucine, Silicon Dioxide.
This product is contraindicated in an individual with a history of hypersensitivity to any of its ingredients.
If pregnant, consult your health professional before using this product.
5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) supplementation is not recommended concurrent with methotrexate cancer therapy, as it can interfere with methotrexate's anti-neoplastic activity; however, this folate source has not been shown to interfere with the anti-inflammatory activity of methotrexate. An individual taking methotrexate for psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis can safely take a supplement containing folate.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to treat, mitigate, diagnose or cure any disease.
i have taken vitamin b for years but never felt like i was absorbing it.Then i found out i was taking the wrong kind.This is helping me so much.Ihave more energy than i have had in years.
Thorne Research 5-MTHF
Fast and convenient service!