- Life Extension 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) is a member of the lipoxygenase family of enzymes. It transforms fatty acids into leukotrienes. Excess levels of the enzyme 5-LOX sets in motion inflammatory responses that have been linked to common effects in aging individuals.
- Normal aging results in higher-than-desired levels of 5-LOX.
- The typical American diet adds to the danger. Foods rich in omega-6 fatty acids like red meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products, along with high-glycemic carbohydrates, trigger overproduction of arachidonic acid. In response to high levels of arachidonic acid, the body produces the 5-LOX enzyme.
- 5-LOX breaks down arachidonic acid to pro-inflammatory compounds like leukotriene B4,75 a molecule that mediates attacks to joints, arterial walls, and other tissues. 5-LOX itself facilitates undesirable cell division changes.
- The good news is that an extract of the Indian plant Boswellia serrata has been shown to neutralize 5-LOX. Used for centuries to help with inflammatory factors, boswellia acts as a natural 5-LOX inhibitor, intervening at the cellular level to block its unwanted effects. Confirmatory data reveal that a compound contained in boswellia called AKBA (3-O-acetyl-11-keto-B-boswellic acid) is the key to its beneficial action.
- The problem is that boswellia is poorly absorbed into the blood.80 For this reason, a patent-pending, standardized form of boswellia called ApresFlex is being introduced. ApresFlex absorbs into the blood 52% more than previously available boswellia extracts.
- Each 100 mg vegetarian capsule of 5-LOX Inhibitor with ApresFlex is standardized to provide 20% of active AKBA from boswellia. Most people need only one capsule a day.
Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule
Amount Per Serving
AprèsFlex® (Boswellia serrata) extract (gum resin) [std. to 20% 3-O-acetyl-11-keto-ß-boswellic acid (AKBA) (20 mg)] ....... 100 mg
microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), silica, vegetable stearate
Dosage and Use
To inhibit the 5-lipoxygenase enzyme, take one (1) capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to treat, mitigate, diagnose or cure any disease.