Omega 3s are an essential family of fatty acids that have many health benefits with these being the top 5:
- Cardiovascular System (supports circulation, healthy blood vessel function and healthy triglyceride levels)
- Brain (supports memory and learning ability and healthy brain function)
- Eye Health (protects against age-related oxidative damage, dryness and redness)
- Joints (promotes joint mobility and flexibility and internal repair)
- Immunity (promotes a healthy immune response and internal repair systems)
The two main omega 3 fatty acids are EPA and DHA. Despite the many benefits of these omega 3s, most people don’t get enough in their Western diets today due to the lack of foods rich in these nutrients. The main sources are fish from cold waters and fish oil supplements.
The American Heart Association recommends that healthy adults eat fish at least twice a week, patients with heart disease take 1-gram EPA+DHA per day and that persons with high triglycerides take 2-4 grams of EPA+DHA per day. To achieve these levels, it may be necessary to supplement the diet with high quality omega 3 fish oil supplements. These levels of intake will also provide the other benefits as well.
Ready to add Omega-3 to your daily routine? Visit our comprehensive list of popular omega supplements featuring options for adults, children and specific conditions.
James G. Elliott, Ph.D.
About the author - Dr. Elliott has been a clinical nutrition researcher in the food and nutritional supplement industries for over 40 years. During this time, Dr. Elliott has helped develop a number of the leading nutritional health products found on the market today.